The Italian HVACR branch organisation wants to make HP incentives more attractive


The Italian HVACR manufacturers branch organisation, Assoclima, suggests policy makers to make the Ecobonus incentive for heat pumps more attractive and to continue with the electricity rates reform, in order to increase users’ interest on heat pump systems.

Assoclima, has taken part in a hearing of the X Commission for Productive Activities, Commerce and Tourism of the Chamber of Deputies as part of the survey on the prospects for implementation and adjustment of the National Energy Strategy to the Integrated National Plan for Energy and Climate (NECP).

Mr. Roberto Saccone, President of Assoclima, highlighted that the widespread use of heat pump systems is essential to achieve the targets of the NECP. He also illustrated the advantages of heat pump technology and proposed some interventions that should be implemented: “Heat pumps are a quite young but proven technology, which have important prospects for improvement and innovation, especially from the energy efficiency point of view.”

For Italy is to reach the 2030 target of about 3.1 Mtoe increase of thermal renewable energy from heat pumps, we should increase the annual installed thermal power by 3.5 GWh, corresponding to investments of about 1.5 billion euro per year, with positive effects on the economy and employment. “The sales volume of electric heat pumps would become about twice as high as the current one. Our companies are ready from an industrial point of view and have the tools to make the necessary investments to increase production, said Mr. Saccone. We wonder if the existing investment incentive system will be enough to guarantee a development of this magnitude.”

In order to increase users’ interest in heat pump technology, Assoclima has suggested to revise the Italian Ecobonus incentive and proposed three alternative proposals: reducing the incentive payment period from 10 to 5 years, setting a first deduction rate corresponding to 25% of the entire contribution spreading the remaining 75% in the next 9 years, or providing a mixed system with a payment partly in cash and partly through tax deductions.

Another important theme highlighted by Mr. Saccone was the need to maintain and strengthen the electricity rates reform: “The data show that non-progressive electricity rates are contributing to the rational use of energy. Our hope is that charges descending from actions to increase efficiency and use of renewables in other sectors do not fall on the electricity rates, in terms of taxes, and that, on the contrary, we continue with the containment of the electricity rates.”

Source (in Italian):