To demonstrate the economic and environmental benefits of ground-coupled heat pump systems.
Project manager and participating countries
Austria was the envisaged Operating Agent. The participating countries were: Austria, Canada, Japan, Norway, Sweden and USA.
The following work was realised:
1. Studying ideas for improved technical performance and cost of ground-source heat pump systems
- Heating-only versus heating and cooling systems
- Open versus closed loop systems
- Horizontal versus different vertical systems
- Direct expansion and secondary loop systems
- Use of different secondary fluids, including CO2
- Vertical probes of the heat pipe design filled with CO2
- Direct and indirect cooling
- Recharging and moisture migration in the ground
- Extraction of heat from large surface areas, e.g. parking lots, runways etc.
2. Identification of market barriers and innovative approaches to increase system acceptance including
- Quality assurance measures
- Ground coil system guarantees
- Contracting models for reduced initial cost
- Tariff structures etc.